It’s true. The Cesarians did ban guitars. But only in the beginning. Then along came Budge Magraw. A bassist extraordinare, lending pounding riffs to the rhythm section. And one make of bass above all features on Pure White Speed, the new album from the Cesarians.
“I basically used three different Höfners for the whole album,” says Budge, “a 5000/1 and a couple of 500/1’s. The violins used by the girls are both Höfners too, the same model – Höfner H215 “Stradivari” Series Violins, each with “Karl Höfner Series” bows.
Here, for the first time, is the full album track listing and what Budge plays on each:
1. Post War Blues – Höfner 5000/1 “Deluxe” Violin Bass (Birdseye Maple and Gold Plate)
2. Pure White Speed – ditto
3. This Way – no bass (orchestral)
4. Everything Dies – Höfner 5000/1 “Deluxe” (as above)
5. Control – Höfner 500/1 “v64” Violin Bass (Brunette Burst, with flat wound strings, straight out of the box, and recorded this track the day I got it, shortly before it was pictured with me for the Höfner 2013/14 Catalogue cover)
6. Column – Höfner 5000/1 “Deluxe” (as above)
7. Meltdown – Höfner 500/1 “Contemporary” Violin Bass (black)
8. Woman – ditto
9. She Said – ditto
10. Blunted – ditto
11. Creation theory – ditto
12. Man Quake – ditto
“Since the recording, Höfner made me a signature bass, I met them in Germany to go over the spec, and did some demo videos for their YouTube channel. It’s now known as a Höfner 500/15 Federal Bass “Budge Magraw Signature Edition”. It’s based on an old President bass big body, but with a violin bass neck.”
And now the good people at Höfner are offering this Ignition Violin Bass (signed by the band) as a Kickstarter reward. Click the link below and get your hands on it now.